Monday, June 30, 2008

Living In L.A.*

I had a biiiig cooking weekend which I plan to show off slowly over the course of this week, and I even made some delicious things I didn't photograph.

Unmemorialized in photography are:
  • Black and white bean salad- a staple of my mom's
  • Jacob's cucumber salad
  • Pineapple BBQ Wings (deliciousness)
  • Chive pork and shrimp dumplings (the extras are frozen though, so I can shoot/eat them later)
  • Tonight's salad of breaded pork, avocado, corn, shallots, green peppers and gruyere cheese with red leaf lettuce served with BBQ dressing.
RIP and my stomach, meals. You served us honorably.

One of the many things I love about my neighborhood would be the sights. I took a night shot of the Wiltern Theater, which I stumble home past every Thursday night after drinks, and miraculously, since it was taken after drinks it turned out just fine. I've only been meaning to take a picture since I moved in, so that was helpful.


From my window I have a lovely west facing view of palm trees, sunsets and more historic neon signs at night. But during the afternoons, the other thing I have in my wall of western facing windows, is a perfect sun tea factory. Featured here is Sunday Afternoon Sun Chai, before it has steeped. Also featured, in a supporting role, is a palm tree.


And that's about it for now. Join us next time for the Limeade series or our feature on Back to Back Farmer's market action!


*is pretty cool

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's this dingleberry leaving spam comments on your blog? Do you know him? Anyway, I look forward to your blog entries, when they actually include pictures of food. I was misled, thinking that with all this cookery going on, there would be, you know, edibles. I have never tried to eat a theater, but I have suspicions that it will not taste good. Especially not one with as much neon as the Wilburn. The tea looks okay, but again, that's a beverage. Like soup. So not food, in other words. My bread experiment ended in heartbreak. Apparently the altitude here requires that I make some adjustments. I'll report back on developments as they occur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liquids AND soups will be counted as food. You've just determined that the next post is definitely going to be the Limeade, not the farmer's market. I'm sorry you lost your bread. I hear smart-assery causes yeast to die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooo! You are SO wrong! Yeast THRIVES on smart-assery... which accounts for how well my bread did when I made it in Worcester and your smart ass was around to nurture it. Nah, it was the altitude. The bread rose too quickly, aided by the general warmth of the country, and caused it to peak too early. I'll either need to let the dough rise in the fridge, or add less yeast. I've also toyed with the idea of letting it rise inside a pressure cooker, since that might simulate sea-level. I'll keep you and your ass informed...

    ReplyDelete