Here is the completed top for his quilt. I was working on it secretly while I worked on my own quilt top, but he pointed out to me that he would have had no idea, even if I'd been wandering around pointing out the different colors and layout.
This is going to be my quilt. I finished piecing all the blocks last night, but I need to go back in and straighten out several points where things are not quite aligned. Then I'm going to have to figure out what sort of border I want on this one. Probably similar to the above quilt, but I think perhaps a double contrast stripe will be in it.
I couldn't take looking at cathedral window quilts online anymore , so I went out and bought the supplies to make one. I think it's going to take forever and be very large. The color scheme is navy/indigo, grey, black and one deep red on regular old muslin. I'm cutting out one foot sized squares, which reduce down to 5.5 inches and will have about 4 inch windows in them. Still trying to figure out the exact placement of squares.