Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sushi Tuesday



I am learning to make sushi. Its actually pretty easy. The only things which are problematic are supplies- my grocery store sure don't sell sushi grade nothin from the ocean. So I winged it. The best versions I made were vegetarian, but the smoked salmon worked pretty decently.

So do you want to make some sushi? My downfall is usually rice. But there is this blog about fish somewhere on internet (sorry I owe someone a citation here) with a baked sushi rice recipe! Whoo! Okay. Let's do it.

Oven sushi rice:
1 cup sushi rice (equals about 2 cups cooked sushi rice- the ratios will stay constant as you increase the servings.)
1 cup water
Maybe some nori to throw in while you cook it?

Okay so you take rice, put it in a strainer or a bowl and rinse it until the water runs clear. then let it drain in the fridge for a bit (30 minutes maybe?).

Preheat oven to 375.

Boil the water.

put rice into oven safe dish with lid. Add water and bake 20 minutes.

Let it rest for 10 minutes covered.

The end. Perfect sushi rice. Add seasoned vinegar, pull out your Nori, and start throwing some ingredients around. Its actually pretty quick. My next plan is some fushion sushi. Has anyone ever made sushi Caprese, butternut sage squash sushi? No? Oh...it is on!



1 comment:

  1. Homemade sushi! I know ou said it isn't that difficult, but I'm still impressed!

    ReplyDelete