Sunday, July 12, 2009

Happy Sunday

So...in home news I'm grouting tiles. But that's not ready to be shown off. Instead, its been a while since I made myself food. I've been eating take-out, and chips and all kinds of shameful things. I think that might have something to do with the fact that although I have a dishwasher now so clean up isn't arduous like it used to be, I don't really have a trashbin. There's no floor area for it in the kitchen and I haven't figured out how to cope. So I make up these little baggies of gross food scraps and then get grossed out. I know, I know, listening to my trials and tribulations really puts things in perspective doesn't it?

Anyway. This week I roasted a pork shoulder in the oven overnight. It worked out pretty well, although I am pondering whether or not I should slow roast things uncovered or covered. (Pretend there is a long digression about meat juice and basting here.). The only drawback to pork roasting overnight is you might step into a crowded elevator at work the next morning and suddenly have a horrifying thought that you might just smell noticeably porky. Of course, if this were you you would have done smart things like sniffed yourself (my nose is stuffy!) or hung your clothes out on the patio overnight or something. But being myself I turned to Josh (poor Josh, he's a good sport) and using the least whispery whisper ever said, "DO I SMELL LIKE ROAST PORK?!".

Apparently I did not, but I did make some people laugh.

Anyway, the pork appears here in a taco with a jicama pineapple salsa. Starring with mr. pork shoulder is beans and rice, and roasted plaintains. Mmmm....


Also I mixed a drink using the pineapple goo in the can, grapefruit juice, a lime squeeze, seltzer (from the soda machine!), gin and lightly muddled mint. It is quite good. Gin, why are you so delicious, do you want me to become a lush? Because I'll do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment